I lead a pretty busy life, firstly and most importantly to my family as a mum and an extremely proud forces wife. This as we all know is a full time job in itself, however with the current economic situation, like many stay at homes mum, in 2010 I decided to set up a kitchen table business. I founded Little Kitten Homemade with a small amount of fabric from my personal stash and started making Bunting, Banners and Pretty Things. My little business grew beyond all I could I hope for and my strings of flags have travelled to new happy homes worldwide, featured in magazines, decorated photo shoots and even made it on to UK TV. Last year, I teamed up with my fabulous Mum and together we launched Pretty Fabrics and Trims, an online market place filled to brimming with the prettiest fabrics, ribbons, buttons and lace you could possibly hope to find.
It sounds wonderful and whilst I am exremely proud of what I have achieved, to say all is jolly however wouldn't be true. The reality is, that juggling all the balls and running two businesses, at times with my husband away for weeks on end, has meant some of the most important things in life, like spending precious time with my family and eating home cooked meals has taken second place and that is not good and it has made me question my priorities. So, before things start to crumble around me, I've made the huge decision to start a fresh, how scary and ever so slightly mad is that, but can I tell you I am very excited and I'm raring to go.
This is my grand plan, not a business plan as such, more my dreams and my aspirations:
- I'm going to spend quality time with my family, walking, talking and watching them grow.
- I'm going to cook homemade meals (most of the time!) and spend time eating together.
- I'm not going to work on Sundays. (This one is going to be hard, because that is exactly what I am doing as I write this!)
- I'm going to share my passion for sewing with tutorials and giving helful hints.
- I shall still make bunting, banners and pretty things, but as ready to go collection rather than custom and made to order. *
- Finally, I'm going to be creating some lovely kits and patterns for you to sew at home, these will feature lots of hand embroidery and appliques. Lots more about this over the next few weeks, but I can tell you they're designed so that you can spend many a happy a happy hour stitching, sat in comfy chair, sewing something with lots of love for someone you love, after all isn't that what's most important?
If you like to read my old blogs, take a look HERE and HERE.
*UPDATE Sept 2013 I am having so much fun and being kept so busy with Sarah Edgar Designs and Pretty Fabrics and Trims, for the time being Little Kitten Homemade is on hold.
*UPDATE Nov 2013 After much deliberation, I decided the time had come to say goodbye to Little Kitten Homemade, you can read more HERE.