As I mentioned in my last post, during a rain shower on Sunday afternoon, I nipped up to my sewing room to frame my latest embroidery, which is taken from my new pattern that I am currently working on. I was really happy with the off white stitching against the the natural linen and the vintage mother of pearl buttons add such a lovely interest to the design. I decided however that a plain wooden frame, just wouldn't do and something a little more special was called for. After a little rummage in my fabrics, I pulled out some Tilda Stine, it is such a pretty fabric and it's small scale design was just what I was after.
This is what I did:
First off I cut my fabric pieces into 1" (2.5cm) wide strips, mine were aprox 10" long (25cm) which I found it easier to work with rather than one long strip.
To start, I put a small amount of glue on the inside edge of the hoop to secure my first strip in place and then started wrapping the fabric.
As I finished one strip, I trimmed it to ensure that the raw edge finished on the inside edge of the hoop. This part of the hoop is not seen, once the embroidery is in place.
To start the next strip I added some more glue, again to the inside edge and then continued until the hoop was completely covered. In total I used aprox 5 1/2 strips of fabric to cover my 6" hoop.
To finish, I trimmed off all the hanging threads and left the glue to dry before framing my embroidery. I'll cover how I frame my embroideries in a tutorial another day.
As a final flourish, I tied on some short pieces of ribbon and lace and ta da.... all done!
I'm thrilled with the finished hoop and as we speak it is now taking pride of place in my hallway. Right I'm off now to work on the full 'Be Kind and Be True' embroidery, but as always, if you have any questions, please do ask and I'll do my very best to help!