17 June 2013

How to stitch 'French Knots'







Maybe it's me, but what is there not to love about a French Knot?  I LOVE them and I mean LOVE them.  I have been incorporating them into my designs for many years, on their own as the centre of an itty bitty felt flower, an eye of a bird, on the tip of a butterfly antenna or on mass for a spectacular display.  For such a tiny little stitch, it certainly has big impact!

The following sketch shows how to stitch a French Knot:

and here are some photo's of how I have found over time, the easiest way to stitch a French Knot.   (Unlike my Blanket Stitch tutorial, you will note this time that both my hands are in the photo's...I must say it's definately easier when you have a photography assistant, AKA my husband Andy!)


This is what I do, to start, bring your needle out to the required place.  You will see from the pictures that I have added small dots marking the outside edge of the flower that I am stitching, to give me a line to follow.


Now, encircle the thread around your needle two or three times depending upon how big you would like the knot to be.

Pull the thread tight so the the loops are sitting tightly around your needle and at the same time insert your needle back though the fabric, right next to where it originally came through, but still hang on to the taught thread.  You will find that the knot will naturally at this point, sit on top of the fabric.

Gently pull the thread back through, only releasing it at the last moment. You will now have a neat little single French Knot.  


Ta da, you have now stitched a French Knot, just repeat the process again and again and ....


I hope that you found this tutorial helpful, please do let me know! As always, if you have any questions, please do get in touch and I'll do my very best to help. 
Share:

3 comments

  1. great tutorial.. thank you so much! *_*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salaam :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you I forgot about going back through on my French Knots

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it really does make my day! If you have a question, please do ask away and I will do my very best to answer. Sarah xo

Update July 2020: Unfortunately, due to a large increase in spam and inappropriate comments, I have turned on 'Comment Moderation', so your comment will not appear immediately. My apologies for this!

© A Little Happy Place | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig