25 April 2016

1930s Farmer's Wife QAL ~ #64 Monette

So behind the scenes I've been beavering away on my Farmer's Wife Blocks...this is officially my longest work in progress and boy have I learnt A LOT since I started.  Where possible I've used quilty maths and where the maths has had me flummoxed I've used the templates contained on the disc in the back of the book.  Today I'm joining Kerry to share Block #64 Monette.
Monette is a pretty block with some very small pieces...57 pieces in a 6 1/2" square..... madness!  I cut pieces 64B, 64C and 64D using the templates and cutting guide in the book, as shown on my previous post HERE.  However for 64A, rather than cutting 48 individual tiny squares as directed (24 in each colour)  I used template 64A as a guide for the depth and cut long strips in each of the two fabrics, which I pieced together and then sub cut these down into two patches, again using the template for the width of each piece.  I found this helped with the accuracy of the piecing rather than having to deal with lots of teeny weeny squares. Another 'little happy tip' is use a spritz of spray starch on the finished block, this really  helps to flatten out all those seams.  My starch of choice is Best Press which is available in our bricks and mortar shop, (sorry it's sadly not on our website for fear of spillage whilst on route.... which as Craig Revel Horwood would say would be "a disaster darling"!)

I've added Monette to my stack of Farmers Wife Blocks..... ohhh so satisfiying..... and I can not help but ponder over just how many blocks to make and also what layout to use...
I swing between the traditional layout from the first book and the chevron layout of the second book.....I was completely swooning over the chevrons when I first saw them, but there is something equally gorgeous over the sashing with cornerstones....oh and do not mention the other layouts that I drool over when searching through the hashtag #fwqal on Instagram!

Don't forget to pop over to Kerry's Blog to see her version of Monette, she has been sharing some amazing information and top tips and you should see all her other blocks, they're stunning!

If you're on Instagram take a look at the following hashtags to see some amazing blocks:

#fw1930sqal
#fwqal
#farmerswifequiltalong

and for individual blocks try

#Monetteblock
#fw64Monette

See you next time
Share:

2 comments

  1. Good tip with the strip piecing/squares, gorgeous fabric selection too although I expect nothing less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make the temptation to jump onto this bandwagon great. Nice work. ~Kelly

    Pens and Needles 

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it really does make my day! If you have a question, please do ask away and I will do my very best to answer. Sarah xo

Update July 2020: Unfortunately, due to a large increase in spam and inappropriate comments, I have turned on 'Comment Moderation', so your comment will not appear immediately. My apologies for this!

© A Little Happy Place | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig