So if you would like to join in, here's what we're going to make.......
It's a very simple design, made up of alternate blocks of 4 patches (4 small squares stitched together to form a larger square) and plain blocks, each one with the addition of a raw edged appliqued heart. The quilting is in straight lines following the edges of each block and to finish I've added one of my favourite stripey bindings.
In week 1, we'll cut out all that we need for the quilt top and stitch the 4 patch blocks.
In week 2, we'll make the heart blocks and stitch the quilt top together.
In week 3, we'll layer and tackle the quilting.
Obviously you can choose to make the quilt at what ever pace you like, there's no pressure to keep up at all. My intention is that at whatever speed you go at, you ultimately enjoy the experience, with the added bonus that you'll end up with something pretty.
To give you an idea of size, the finished quilt measures 38" (97cm) by 44 1/2" (113cm), making it a little lap quilt or baby quilt.
So if you fancy joining me, these are the materials that you will need:
For the quilt top
- 15 x 'mini size' pieces or a selection of patterned fabrics of an equivalent size (25cm x 35cm) from your stash
- 1m of Kona Cotton or a complimentary fabric, you will have a little left over for future projects
(If you would like to use the same fabrics as me, Mum (Penny) and I have put together a quilt top pack, which includes the exact same Low Volume mini pieces, plus 1m of Kona Snow, you can find it HERE)
For the binding
- 4 x 2 1/2" strips by the full width of fabric (If you are purchasing fabric, you will need just over a quarter of a metre, so to ensure that you have enough, you will need to purchase 1/2 metre of fabric, leaving you with just under a quarter of a metre of fabric for future projects, I used THIS ONE)
For the backing
- 1.25m of fabric, at least 110cm wide. ( If you are purchasing fabric from the website, you will need to add 5 Fat Quarters to your basket, I used THIS ONE)
You will also need
- 110 x 125cm piece wadding/batting ( If you are purchasing wadding, THIS is my wadding of choice and you will need to add 3 units to your basket, giving you a piece measuring aprox 225cm wide by 150cm long. Cut carefully, you will use half for this project leaving you enough to make a second similar size quilt)
- 25 cm x 90cm wide Bondaweb
Here's some other fabric ideas for you for the quilt top and backing....
Why not pick some pretty Tilda fabrics from the new collection Happiness is Homemade and Tiny Treasures
Kona Snow again is the perfect co-ordinate with these and Leaf Garland Blue would make a super binding.
or for something brighter, Lecien Flower Sugar, would be gorgeous
again Kona Snow is just lovely with these and for the binding, the Sevenberry Stripe in Red would be stunning!
If you would like any help putting together any combinations from the website, just give me a shout and I'll happily send over some pictures of fabrics all together so that you can see how they work.
So here's the schedule for the weekly posts (I'll update these to include links as we go) :
I hope that you'll join me and if at any time you need any help, just get in touch and I'll do all that I can to assist. Oh and so that I can take a peek, if you share any pictures on Instagram or Facebook please do use the hashtag: