8 April 2016

Happy Stitches ~ FREE Embroidery Pattern



Remember that work in progress I shared last time, well it's officially a finish woohoo!  I loved every happy little stitch that went in to making it.  The pretty Sommer fabrics (which you can find here) that I used for the dresden plate inspired the embroidery, which I stitched over a few evenings completely free hand without a hoop or following a pattern...... I just went with the flow.  I used Aurifloss, which if you haven't discovered....is a dream to stitch with.  It's a 6 stranded cotton embroidery floss and I used a mix of 2 or 3 strands.  I don't know about you, but the wooden spools had me at hello!





I hadn't intended on adding any wording but stitching 'happy' captured my mood perfectly!

The dresden is fast becoming a favourite block of mine and comes together so quickly and easily........ as with all the dresden plates I have made, I used THIS fantastic ruler designed by Darlene Zimmerman to cut the blades...... it's really great, you can adjust the size of your blades and therefore the finished dresden by using the measurements marked on it.  I used the 4" ruler from Lori Holts Circle Ruler set for the centre circle.  To get perfect curves I find the interfacing method of applique gets the best results for me.  I use THIS 'sew in' interfacing.  Lori Holt has a brilliant step by step tutorial for this method of applique on her blog here.


By the way, the gorgeous background fabric is Essex Linen in Pewter.  After much umming and agghing I opted for some simple hand quilting using Aurifil 12wt (#2360 in Chocolate Brown).   The binding is the soft yellow gingham from Windermere...... (please note it's not stripey as per my norm!!!!!)



I had so much fun making this I thought it would be nice to share a little happiness, so I drew up a little happy pattern for the embroidery, which you can download for free HERE



Wishing you lots of happy stitches!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh that is so gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing the sweet embroidery too 😊 Have a great weekend, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the sweet embroidery pattern! And I love your beautiful quilting...can't wait to try some of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this beautiful pattern. I have made this and have shown it on my blog today. It made me very happy. This will make a wonderful addition to my Circle 365 project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it really does make my day! If you have a question, please do ask away and I will do my very best to answer. Sarah xo