23 March 2018

Blog Hop ~ Vintage Home BOM

Today I'm sharing my block from the Vintage Home Block of the Month pattern designed by Jo Avery of the blog My Bear Paw which is published in the super popular Today's Quilter Magazine.  The very lovely Block of the Month started back in November and is being released over the course of year,  you can read all about it on Jo's lovely blog HERE.

Each month, Jo has designed to two blocks for the quilt, inspired by vintage home wears and kitchenalia,  this months blocks are inspired by plates.  At home we have a blue and white service that we have used day in day out for over 20 years.  It's called Indies by Johnson Bros and sadly is no longer made.  Like most loved and used china sets, I have lost various pieces over the years, however, thankfully up until now it has been replenished with various car boot and charity finds, but soon I will have to go back on the hunt, my desert plates seen to have taken a bashing lately!  It's like part of the family and l love it now as much as I did when I originally chose it.


Moving on to this months block, as generally speaking most plates are round, in quilting terms this therefore means the dreaded curve.   For her first block Jo has designed a gorgeous 'Fancy Plate', inspired by a Dresden Plate block, but I was very drawn to her second 'Side Plate' design a Porthole style plate block. Both blocks are accompanied by clear instructions and photo's, so please don't be put off by the curve .... and as you can see mine isn't perfect, but I love it all the same!
 The block is a combination of machine and hand stitches, but could easily be stitched all by machine.
I picked the gorgeous Liberty Betsy P as the 'star' print for my block.  I know you shouldn't have favourites, but the combination of mustard, dusty blues, olive greens and coral pinks is just divine.  I pretty much wear the same thing most days, a stripey Breton top, a tunic, dress or skirt and always a cardigan.  I must admit that I have a pretty collection.....I'm in the ' you can never have too many cardigans and stripey top camp'....anyway.... Mum and I always have a giggle when ever we open up new fabrics,  I nearly always lean across each new bolt and state which colour cardi would look lovely with it.... all I can say is that I think I could colour match every shade in this fabric, so watch out I see a new top heading my way!

Anyway I digress, I used a lovely Art Gallery Pure Element solid alongside Essex Linen in Black.  I'm not one for using dark backgrounds, but I think the black really makes the Liberty pop, don't you think?
I also think that an entire quilt top made with this block, would be stunning and a great way to showcase 'star' prints.....
You can find Jo's versions of the Side Plate and Fancy Plate block on her blog today and her clear instructions in the magazine which is landing, I believe, in UK stores today.  Subscribers may already have had their issues pop through the letterbox.

Thanks again Jo for asking me to contribute to the Blog Hop!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it really does make my day! If you have a question, please do ask away and I will do my very best to answer. Sarah xo

Update July 2020: Unfortunately, due to a large increase in spam and inappropriate comments, I have turned on 'Comment Moderation', so your comment will not appear immediately. My apologies for this!

© A Little Happy Place | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig